The Martinsville Community Development offices develop and administer plans, ordinances, and programs to promote the public health, safety, and welfare of present and future City residents.
The department maintains and updates the City's Comprehensive Plan; administers Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances; coordinates federal and state grant applications for community development projects; and provides staff support to City Council, the Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, Tree Board, and Architectural Review Board. The department also collects data and provides information for policy development relating to economic development, transportation, affordable housing, and environmental planning.
To contact the office, call 276-403-5380, 276-403-5156 or visit Room 217 of 55 W. Church Street, Martinsville.
For information about obtaining a building permit, please visit the Inspections page.
Zoning Ordinance Update:
Since 2013, the City's Planning Commission and staff have been working with The Cox Company to complete a comprehensive zoning ordinance update. Please offer your comments and suggestions to email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org.
The documents are:
Original Zoning Ordinance (to compare): http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientID=10095&stateID=46&statename=Virginia
And, a very rough draft: Martinsville Subdivision Ordinance - Draft
Community Development Projects
- Zoning Ordinance Update
- Partnership with Piedmont Arts Association for a National Endowment for the Arts Our Town Grant for the Piedmont Public Art Garden
- Uptown Martinsville Business District Revitalization - VA DHCD Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) (closing out)
- Partnership with the Piedmont Health District and MHC Coalition for Health & Wellness for a Complete Streets program
- Partnership with the Artisan Center of Virginia and stakeholders to establish the Smith River Artisan Trail
- M-HC Enterprise Zone Designation Application - Approved October 2015
- Partnership with ICSM for an IRF grant
- The Henry Hotel adapative reuse project - complete
Uptown Master Plan:
The Uptown Martinsville Physical Improvements Plan by Land Planning Design Associates is below.
Uptown Martinsville Graphics - LPDA
Process: Land Planning Design Associates - Presentation to the Planning Commission and November 12, 2009 public/stakeholder meetings is available here.
Local Historic District information:
- Martinsville Local Historic District Design Guidelines: here.
Document (from the National Park Service) The Benefits of Local Historic Districts.
- Arts & Cultural District/Enterprise Zones map