The Martinsville Community Development office develops and administers plans, ordinances, and programs to promote the public health, safety, and welfare of present and future City residents. Within the Community Development Office, one will find guidance for Building Inspections and Permits, Zoning, Planning, and Subdivisions.
The department maintains and updates the City's Comprehensive Plan; administers Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances; coordinates federal and state grant applications for community development projects; and provides staff support to City Council, the Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, Tree Board, and Architectural Review Board. The department also collects data and provides information for policy development relating to economic development, transportation, affordable housing, and environmental planning.
- Kris Bridges
- Megan Spencer
Community Development Specialist
- Amy Walker
Community Development Associate
Phone: 276-403-5171 or 276-403-5156
55 West Church Street
Martinsville, VA 24112
For information about obtaining a building permit, please visit the Inspections page.
Zoning Ordinance Update
The new City of Martinsville Zoning Ordinance is in effect as of August 1, 2017.
Entrance Corridor Overlay ECO Map - Draft
Transitional Neighborhood Development Overlay (TND-O) Map Draft
Historic Preservation Overlay (HP-O) Map Draft
Martinsville Subdivision Ordinance Draft-June 2017
Community Development Projects
- Northside CDBG (neighborhood)
- Brownfields Assessment Grant
- Zoning Ordinance Updates
- Partnership with Piedmont Arts Association for a National Endowment for the Arts Our Town Grant for the Piedmont Public Art Garden
- Uptown Martinsville Business District Revitalization - VA DHCD Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)
- Partnership with the Piedmont Health District and MHC Coalition for Health & Wellness for a Complete Streets program
- Partnership with the Artisan Center of Virginia and stakeholders to establish the Smith River Artisan Trail
- M-HC Enterprise Zone Designation Application - Approved October 2015
- New College Institute - Building on Baldwin
- The Henry Hotel adaptive reuse project - complete
City of MARTinsville Forms
Sign Permit Application (Fill out the "Sign" section on this application)
Zoning Clearance Form (If you need a business license, please bring this completed form to the Zoning Office)
All permit applications may be mailed, faxed, emailed or delivered in person.
Uptown Master Plan
The Uptown Martinsville Physical Improvements Plan by Land Planning Design Associates is below.
- Uptown Martinsville Physical Improvements Plan - LPDA
- Uptown Martinsville Graphics - LPDA
- Process: Land Planning Design Associates - Presentation to the Planning Commission and November 12, 2009 public/stakeholder meetings is available here.
- Martinsville Historic District
- Fayette Street Historic District
- E Church Street/Starling Avenue Historic District
- Martinsville Local Historic District Design Guidelines
- The National Park Service- The Benefits of Local Historic Districts
- Arts & Cultural District/Enterprise Zones map