How do I appeal the assessed value of my vehicle?

If you feel your vehicle has been over-assessed you can appeal the assessment. To appeal the assessment, you must bring the vehicle to the City Municipal Building so that the Commissioner can view the vehicle. If the vehicle is inoperable, you may schedule an appointment for the Commissioner to view it. To show that the vehicle's value is less than the average loan value established in the NADA official used car guide please provide any of the following:

  • An independent appraisal from a reputable shop or repair facility
  • A police report for incident causing damage
  • A description of specific conditions that make your vehicle's value less than the average loan value listed in the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) guide - for example body damage and missing engine
  • A service receipt dated within 3 weeks of January 1st showing the vehicle mileage for a high mileage deduction - to receive a high mileage deduction, you must provide mileage proof annually.

The Commissioner of the Revenue may require additional information necessary to corroborate a taxpayer's claim or appeal.

Show All Answers

1. What is generally considered personal property for taxation purposes?
2. How is the amount of tax to be levied on personal property determined?
3. Does the City of Martinsville prorate personal property taxes for property sold, transferred, or disposed of during the year?
4. If I move out of Martinsville or sell my motor vehicle during the tax year, am I responsible for paying taxes for the full year?
5. What is the personal property tax relief act?
6. Does my vehicle qualify for car tax relief?
7. How is personal property assessed?
8. How do I appeal the assessed value of my vehicle?
9. If my vehicle is unused or unregistered at Department of Motor Vehicles, do I still need to register with the commissioner's office and pay personal property taxes?
10. Where may local tax returns be filed?