Architectural Review Board
The City of Martinsville's Architectural Review Board (ARB) is comprised of citizens who apply for the position and are appointed by City Council. The Architectural Review Board meets monthly or as needed. The board makes sure that changes to contributing structures in the historic districts are made complimentary to its historic fabric.
Members of the Architectural Review Board
- Mary Rives Brown
- Kathleen McEvoy
- Lizabeth Wolchko
Currently, there are FOUR (4) VACANCIES on the Architectural Review Board for board member positions. If you are interested in serving your community on the Architectural Review Board, please contact Hannah Powell at firstname.lastname@example.org or (276) 403-5156.
- Typically meet once a month if an application is submitted for consideration
- 3rd Thursday of the month
- Council Chambers, 55 West Church Street, Martinsville VA 24112
City of Martinsville's Historic Districts
- Uptown Martinsville (established 1998) - Nomination - Map
- East Church Street/Starling (established 2006) - Nomination - Map
- Fayette Street (established 2007) - Nomination - Map
- The Design Guidelines have been accepted by the Planning Commission and City Council for historic properties.
If you wish to submit a Certificate of Appropriateness or Certificate of No Effect, please contact Hannah Powell at email@example.com or 276-403-5156.
Please see the report gathered from Hill Studio for 450 Properties Surveyed
- Hill Studio Final Presentation - Henry County - Final Report
- Historic Districts of Martinsville
- Martinsville Historic District
- Fayette Street Historic District
- E Church Street/Starling Avenue Historic District
- The National Park Service- The Benefits of Local Historic Districts.
To learn more about the programs of the ARB, please call the Community Development office at 276-403-5156.