Kathy Lawson was re-elected to Martinsville City Council on November 3, 2020 and began her 4 year term on January 1, 2021. Lawson was first elected to Martinsville City Council in 2006 and served until 2010, She is the City’s first female mayor serving 2008-2010 and again beginning January 2019. She was elected as mayor again January 2021 and served as mayor until January 2023.
Lawson is an “almost” lifelong resident, moving to the area as a child. She has worked in the insurance industry for 40+ years and currently serves as the Personal Lines Manager at Burton and Company. Lawson is married to Ralph Lawson who serves as a regional Disaster Manager for the American Red Cross. She has three adult children and seven grandchildren. Her hobbies include knitting, quilting, weaving, traveling with her husband, and being an avid reader. Walt Disney World is her favorite place to vacation.
Lawson was first elected to Martinsville City Council in 2006 and served until 2010, She is the City’s first female mayor serving 2008-2010 and again beginning January 2019. She was elected as mayor again January 2021 and served as mayor until January 2023.
As an advocate for our Community, Lawson serves on the following:
- McCabe Baptist Church, member
- Christmas Cheer, current President and board member
- Former Board Member Gateway Streetscape Foundation
- Volunteer for our community's hazardous waste days
- West Piedmont Planning District Commission, current treasurer and member of the executive committee
- Former President Martinsville Henry County Christmas Parade Association
- Martinsville Exchange Club volunteer
- Former Chairman of Martinsville Electoral Board
- Life Member Virginia Jaycees and JCI Senator
- Delvin Hairston Memorial Scholarship Foundation, board member
- Red Cross Volunteer
- Salvation Army, board member
- Southside Survivor Response Center, board member