Oktoberfest Government

Special Events

Thank you for choosing the City of Martinsville as the site for your special event!!

If your event is open to the public, whether on private property or on public property, please utilize the following checklist to ensure that your event is safe, successful and compliant with all local ordinances and state statutes.

1. Will you hold your event on a city street or in a city park or parking lot?

Yes, submit your request and questionnaire to the City Manager's office, 55 W. Church Street, Room 216, Martinsville, VA 24112 276-403-5182. Download Special Event Request and Questionnaire.

No, please make sure that you are compliant with any other permitting or inspection requirements that are detailed below.

2. Do you have insurance coverage for this event with a minimum of $1,000,000 in general liability coverage listing the City of Martinsville as an additional insured party on the policy?

Yes, provide a copy of the insurance certificate to the City Manager's office at 55 W. Church Street, Room 216, Martinsville, VA 24112.

No, obtain the necessary insurance coverage for the event and submit insurance certificate as required.

3. Have you submitted a plan to the Police Department to control parking, crowds, and vehicular traffic?


No, contact the Police Department at 276-403-5304 to discuss crowd control and policing issues.

4. Have you submitted a plan to the Fire Marshal detailing fire and rescue arrangements?


No, contact the Fire Marshal at 276-403-5200 to discuss fire and rescue issues.

5. Do you require assistance from the Sheriff's Motorcycle Brigade for parade escort assistance?

Yes, contact the Sheriff at 276-403-5151 to discuss parade escort assistance.


6. Will your event require street closures?

Yes, contact Public Works at 276-403-5154 to discuss closures and times.


7. Have you made arrangements for trash clean-up and removal?


No, contact Public Works at 276-403-5154 for requirements.

8. Will your event require utility services beyond those available at the site?

Yes, contact the Utility Billing Department at 55 W. Church Street, Room 103, Martinsville, VA 24112 Phone: 276-403-5146 for temporary electric and water service.


9. Will you erect tents, stages or other temporary outdoor structures?

Yes, contact Inspections at 276-403-5173, 55 W. Church Street, Room 215, Martinsville, VA 24112 for any necessary permits and requirements.


10. Will you have amusement rides and devices that may include but are not limited to carnival rides, inflatables, climbing walls, etc.?

Yes, contact Inspections at 276-403-5173, 55 W. Church Street, Room 215, Martinsville, VA 24112 to ensure that each device has been properly inspected and necessary permits have been obtained.


11. Will you use a sign to advertise your special event?

Yes, contact the Zoning Office at 276-403-5380, 55 W. Church Street, Room 215, Martinsville, VA 24112 for sign code compliance.


12. Will you sell or serve beer, wine and/or liquor?

Yes, contact Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control or Roanoke Regional Office, 2943 D Peters Creek Rd., Roanoke, VA 24019 Phone: 540-562-3604. Once state licensing is received contact the City of Martinsville Commissioner of the Revenue 55 W. Church Street, Room 101, Martinsville, VA 24112, 276-403-5131 to obtain your local ABC license.


13. Will either you, or food vendors participating in the event, prepare and/or offer any food products, free or for sale, that will be for public consumption?

Yes, contact Henry/Martinsville Health Department, 295 Commonwealth Blvd., P.O. Box 1032, Martinsville, VA 24114 phone: 276-638-2311 fax: 276-638-3537 for approval. Each food vendor must contact the Health Department and either obtain a permit to operate a temporary food establishment, or prove that you qualify as being exempt from the requirements of the Food Regulations. Download Application for Temporary Restaurant Permit.  Find more Health Department information regarding food safety or the Food Regulations. After contacting the Health Department, each food vendor must register with the City of Martinsville Commissioner of the Revenue for City of Martinsville Meals Tax Collection. Download Meals Tax Registration Form and submit at 55 W. Church Street, Room 101, Martinsville, VA 24112 Phone: 276-403-5131.  Food Trucks/Trailers, must have current fire inspection.  Please contact the Martinsville Fire Marshal at 276-403-5200 10 days prior to the event to verify current inspection.


14. Will food vendors be selling or offering home-canned or processed food items (including jams, jellies, honey, preserved food, etc) or making apple butter?

Yes, contact Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services, Division of Dairy Foods, 210 Church Ave., S.W., Roanoke, VA 24011. Phone: 540-562-3641 Fax: 540-857-7582 Each vendor offering these items must comply with proper production techniques for safely processing foods and properly label all items offered. Some home processed products may not be allowed. Find more Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services information regarding food safety.


15. Will you be selling merchandise or food?

Yes, you must register for a Virginia sales tax number by downloading and filing Form R-1 from the Virginia Department of Taxation to collect, report and remit the sales tax. Instructions for State Business Registration Form.


16. Will you be conducting dances at your business location?

Yes, contact the Martinsville City Manager's office for permit requirements at 276-403-5182.


17. Have you completed all the above requirements that you answered "yes" to?

Yes. Congratulations, you have completed all the permitting and licensing requirements to hold a safe and successful special event in the City of Martinsville! Please provide a list of vendors participating in your event to the Commissioner of the Revenue office, 55 W. Church Street, Room 101 of the Martinsville Municipal Building 5 days prior to the event.

No. Contact any necessary departments to start the permitting and inspection process with their office. When this is complete, proceed to the Commissioner of the Revenue office for final permitting and licensing requirements.


Best wishes for a successful event!