- Public Works
- Bulk Trash Collection Program
Bulk Trash Collection Program
The City of Martinsville Bulk Trash Collection Program provides for the residential collection of large items that typically cannot be picked up during regular waste collection. This program also collects brush and small limbs from normal lawn maintenance activities. Items should not be placed beneath overhead lines or adjacent to poles, trees, mailboxes, etc. Houses must be clearly numbered with the correct street address in order for crews to find the proper location for the pick-up. The service is provided for residential customers only. Industrial or commercial waste will not be collected nor will excessive amounts of debris generated by landlords due to tenant eviction and/or cleanout of rental property.
Bulk Trash Collection
To schedule a bulk trash pick-up, please call 276-403-5419 by noon the day before the regular garbage collection day.
The following items are acceptable for regular bulk pick-up under this program:
- Furniture (tables, chairs, beds, sofas, etc.)
- Appliances (stoves, refrigerators, washing machines, dryers, dishwashers)
- Small items that have been properly bagged and/or placed in containers
- Tires (maximum of four)
- Drums, barrels, and buckets will be picked up if they do not contain liquids, the inside has been cleaned and the lids have been removed
- Bagged vegetative yard waste such as leaves, grass clippings, etc.
Brush pickup is only picked up once a month. View the 2023 Brush Pickup Schedule (PDF). To schedule a brush pick-up, please call 276-403-5141.
The following items are acceptable for the brush collection program:
- Brush and small limbs no larger than four inches in diameter from normal yard clean up. Limbs and brush should be cut into lengths no longer than 8 feet and stacked behind the curb or ditch line. This service is not intended to include entire trees cut by private individuals or contractors. Brush will only be picked up on Mondays and must be scheduled separately by calling 276-403-5141.
Items Not Accepted
The following items are not acceptable for pickup under these programs:
- No trees, stumps, and large limbs greater than four inches in diameter and eight feet in length. (This includes any vegetative waste cut or cleaned by a contractor, commercial property or apartment buildings.)
- No carpeting, rugs, floor coverings
- No debris from construction, remodeling, and/or demolition - this includes roofing materials, brick, concrete, cinder block, scrap lumber, plumbing fixtures, windows, doors, etc.
- No barrels, drums, buckets, or other containers that contain any type of liquid and have not been cleaned with lids removed
- No materials considered being hazardous, medical, or radioactive waste as described by the Virginia Solid Waste Management Regulations
- No small items that have not been properly packaged in bags or some other type of container
- No automobile and lawnmower parts (engines, transmissions, axles, body components, etc.)
What to Do with Unaccepted Items
Any unacceptable item should be taken to the First Piedmont Transfer Station, located at:
225 Arden Circle
Martinsville, VA 24112
They can be reached by calling 276-638-3792.
Hazardous materials such as paint, solvents, and petroleum products are collected by Gateway Streetscape's Household Hazardous Waste Day held in the Spring of each year. They can be reached by calling 276-634-4674.
If you have questions concerning the Bulk Trash Collection Program, please call the Martinsville Public Works Department at 276-403-5154.